Fortis Hospital Noida — negligence cause death

+91 12 4492 1033
+91 12 4492 1071
+91 12 4492 1021
Tower A, Unitech Business Park, Block – F, South City 1, Sector – 41, Gurgaon, Haryana, India – 122001

Message From the Husband of a Dead Wife !
by Swapnil Narendra on Tuesday, September 6, 2011 at 4:17pm

This is the story of a man, named Srijan Sharma, who lost his wife due to neglegence of Fortis hospital, NOIDA.


With deep regret I want to inform you the demise of my wife Rupali Sharma on

17th July due to post operative complication after brain surgery.

I would also like to bring to your notice how private hospitals like FORTIS

are robbing people of their life and money. Please be very careful while

dealing with such hospitals. Find below the details of my experience with

Fortis Noida.

My wife age 29 ( occupation- trainer with HCL) was diagnosed with a non

malignant brain tumor on 17th June2011. She did not have any major symptoms

like headache, eye problem or vomiting. She was suggested surgery for

removal of tumor. We took opinions from Max, Indo Gulf and finally decided

on Fortis because of the good reputation of Dr. A K Singh.

Doctors did not make us aware that it is a very complicated surgery and said

that there are only incidental risks. "Amount of risk involved is same as

the risk when you come from your home to hospital"

On the date of admission I pointed out several times that my wife was having

severe cough and cold. It was ignored by doctors saying "Everything is

perfect". Later on Dr Sanjay Gupta admitted that this could have led to

infection.How could they ignore it? Moreover the doctor preponed the surgery

by one day because he had to go outside India.We were totally unaware of

that. Why did not they postpone the surgery instead?

From day one the team did not have any consensus on how the tumor will be

removed. They said that they will try from nose first , if not they will cut

open the skull. On the day of operation (8th July)they said after 5 hrs that

they could not extract tumor through nose so .. they will open the skull. My

dear wife had to go through both the procedures. The whole operation took 12


Post operative care is pathetic. Why was my wife given sandwich and chole

chawal in ICU after next day of such a major surgery?My wife vomitted on 13

July morning and was drowsy. We immediately alarmed the doctors on duty. But

they ignored the situation saying that everything is normal. In the evening

she was perspiring, We again alarmed doctors on duty but no action was

taken. If the doctors have been proactive they could have saved my wife.

By 14th morning the condition had deteriorated and doctors took her to ICU

and put her on ventilator saying it is not required but as a precaution they

were doing it.The worst part is that senior doctors A K Singh and Sanjeev

Dua went out of country on that day. We tried to reach them through various

means but they were not available for next 3 days. (How could they leave two

patients in such a serious condition?There was another patient with similar

case in ICU who also died )

Doctors who were available ( Vikas Gupta, Bundela, Sanjay Gupta ) acted like

bunch of . They could not diagnose the problem and condition

deteriorated every day. There was total lack of leadership and no team work

at all. Each doctor gave a different reason for the problem ( lung

infection, hypo perfusion, brain infection none of which was confirmed by

the time of death). On 14th July, doctors were saying that there is lung

infection but they had not called any lung specialist. It is only when we

suggested , they called an expert? Why did not they call the experts on

there own?

On 16th July Dr. Vivek Chawla was instructed to update us the condition by

7:00 am in morning. However we were not informed till 11:00 Am that she had

a cardiac arrest at 4:00 am. My wife's cousin (who is a doctor in AIIMS)

visited Fortis Neuro ICU on 17th July , he told me that my wife was already

dead. After he left , hospital declared dead my wife. Otherwise they would

have continued with ventilator for god knows how many days. One of the lady

doctor in ICU very shamefully admitted that there was negligence on part of


The hospital has international standards in only the exorbitant rated they

charge. They gave me an estimate of 2.5 lakhs to cure my wife and charged Rs

5.5 lakhs for her deadbody. We were never communicated that the charges had

gone beyond the estimate. How could they expect us to deposit more than

double the amount at the time of death on a Sunday evening?

There was no doctor from Neurosurgery team available when the death was

declared. When we shouted at the authorities they were quick enough to call

the police within minutes. But they could not get any doctor to confirm the

cause of death or at least give a condolence message as a human gesture. We

had to immediately arrange double the estimated cost, otherwise they would

not give us the dead body.

We had a meeting with hospital management and team of doctors on 4th Aug.

Where doctors accepted majority of our allegations. We demanded a return of

the extra money paid and action against doctors. Director Mr Sukhmeet Sandhu

assured a response by phone in two days. After 8 days we received a

condolence message with no action.

Nowadays hospitals believe in profiteering even at the cost of life. There

is no trasparency and they put people on ventilator even when it is not

required. Very careless attitude of doctors, nurses and other staff. Again

warning you against such malpractices.

Kindly request you to forward this mail to all your friends and relatives

and request you to suggest me good lawyer/ agency who could help me in

dealing with this situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *